The things no one pays us to care about — but we do anyway!
Values connect people, and people activate ideas. We bring our shared values of Authenticity, Community, Nature and Innovation to life by aligning our workflow and processes with them. I’ve outlined some of our values below, or what we like to call our Integrated Sustainable Design Approach. This is simply how we approach our work, whether people ask us to or not.
- Prioritize Values: Before we start working together, we ensure our values align with yours, and we embark on design projects we can both stand behind.
- Mission + Functionality = Beauty We consider not only your project’s visual needs, but also what your project needs to do. Does it support your goals or mission, or those of your clients? How was the project completed previously and how can we create it more effectively and efficiently?
- Detail Oriented We dedicate time to quality assurance and conducting detailed file reviews with clients. Attention to editing—ideally, by two or three people—avoids re-prints and saves you time and money.
- Inspired by Nature We’re surrounded by many design “solutions” in nature, such as colours and forms — simply getting a breath of fresh air can inspire us to take our ideas to the next level.
- Encourage Reuse We consider if your project can have more than one intended use and if it can be repurposed or recycled.
- Consider Life Cycles We select the quality and materials for your projects based on how long it needs to be used for and how its life cycle will end.
- Greener Printing We work with FSC certified printers and recommend the use of papers with recycled content and/or FSC certification. We ask our printers to help us make a project less wasteful, and they often have great suggestions!
- Lighten Up We consider the ecological footprint of your project, and seek solutions to reduce the impact. We also consider if using digital media—such as e-vites, websites, e-newsletters and interactive PDFs—could be just as effective as printed pieces.
- Shop Locally We choose local vendors that use renewable energy, offer recycling programs, and favour non-toxic materials and environmentally friendly processes. By going local, we save energy and money on transportation, and we support the local economy.
- Share Ideas We encourage others to design with sustainability in mind, compare notes, educate our colleagues and seek to find collective solutions.
Curious about how we define our ethical filter, and how we’ve helped to integrate our values into our workflow? Please connect with me today, I love talking about this stuff.