Before we sign off for our holiday break, we wanted to share our gratitude for a great year and all the good things that have happened at Backyard Creative over the last 12 months.
2017 is the year we focused on getting focused. We revisited and refined our vision and values. And our virtual team of collaborative creatives is now more committed than ever to our mission of amplifying the impacts of values-aligned Canadian organizations, and starting change in our backyards.
Our team grew this year as well. After years of working with Backyard Creative as a partner and collaborator, Madelen Ortega became an official part of the crew, taking on the role of Operations Director. Being the process nerds we are, we spent a lot of time in 2017 deep in the details of how we work, refining our processes for all project phases.
We also expanded our roster of super-talented creatives who specialize in illustration, infographics, web programming, and all things communication design, so we can respond to a wide range of client needs. Together, we’re excited to continue delivering great client service and producing stellar work in the most efficient way possible.
We’re humbled and proud to say we worked with some impressive and diverse changemakers in 2017, and we did great work together. Some highlights include:
- A brand refresh and website rollout for the BC Co-op Association (BCCA)
- Signage for the Amazing Places Campaign, for the Mount Arrowsmith Regional Biosphere (together with Parksville Qualicum Tourism Association)
- Branding and collateral for the annual CPHR BC & Yukon Conference, Western Canada’s largest HR event (and we attended the conference and got inspired!)
- Interactive documents and educational materials, including a strategic plan, for the First Peoples’ Cultural Council
- Collaborating with Boldt Communications to create an infographic for Catalyst Developments about creating truly affordable housing
- Writing, designing and producing presentations about sexting and cyberbullying for the RCMP in BC Crime Prevention Services
- Working with the North Vancouver City Library to refine its existing brand and create a strategic plan document (we love libraries!)
- Engaging with a Canadian seafood sustainability watchdog organization (more details coming soon!)
And to wrap up our reflections on 2017, here are some of this year’s top insights and discoveries, both big and small:
- Time = Value (note: value does not always = money
- Nothing is more important than family and health
- An in-depth discovery process is well worth the time spent at the beginning of a new project, and sets the foundation for success
- We love Slack, Asana, G Suite and InVision — we’re so lucky to work with so many awesome virtual communication tools!
- Always bring a book on a business trip, in case bad weather forces you to take the ferry home (float planes are amazing!)
We can’t wait to jump into the new year, and we hope you’ll come along with us on the journey. See you in 2018!